The Elk Grove Historical Museum is available to help you and your scouts with history related badges and programs. Browse our current programs below. Unless otherwise specified, programs last two hours, are available year round, and include a light snack. Programs can be scheduled Tuesdays through Saturdays. During the week, programs can be scheduled between the hours of 9:00 am and 6:00 pm. On Saturdays, programs can be scheduled between 9:00 am and 3:00 pm. The museum requests a minimum of 8 participants and a maximum of 20. Call 847-439-3994 or email the Program Manager for more information.
Cost: $4 for Elk Grove residents, $5 for non-residents.
Scout Leaders, Stay Informed
Subscribe to the museum's quarterly e-newsletters! You'll be the first to find out about new programs, special events, and discounts on programs. Please click the "Subscribe" button below and check the box to indicate that you are interested in "Boy Scout and Girl Scout" programs.
- Tiger Adventure: Scout Safari (Backyard Jungle) Take a hike and investigate living things that you find. Learn about local birds and make a birdhouse. Plant a flower.
- Tiger Adventure: Fun & Games (Games Tigers Play) Play games, and make up your own game. Learn about how activity is good for your health. Find out about nutritious snacks.
*All Tiger programs are 1.5 hours long.
- Elective Adventure: Collection Connection (Collections and Hobbies) Make a collection and learn about labeling it. Share your collection with your fellow den members. See the museum's collections. Create an autograph book. Write a letter to a famous living person, and ask them for an autographed photo. Play a collecting game.
- Elective Adventure: Compass & Map Adventure (Finding Your Way) Using a map of your city or town, locate where you live. Draw a map locating your home, a park, a school, or other locations in your neighborhood. Eat a nutritious snack, and find where it came from. Learn how to use a compass. Go on a scavenger hunt using a compass.
- Adventure: Local Wildlife (Fur, Feathers, and Ferns)* Go hiking for one mile and learn about local wildlife. Learn about extinct and endangered animals. Visit the Nature Shack and observe wildlife from a distance. Learn about plants and composting. Plant an herb garden.
- Elective Adventure: Marvelous Music (A World of Sound) Make an mbira, sistrum, and a rain stick.
*Available April-October. This program also starts at the Elk Herd in Busse Woods Forest Preserve.
- Webelos/AOL Elective Adventure: Tree Adventure (Into the Woods)* Learn about trees and how wildlife and humans use them. Discover local plants and trees and how they improve our environment. Plant something and learn how to care for it. Find out how the growth rings of a tree trunk tell its life story.
Our museum currently offers opportunities for Eagle Scouts such as gardening, facility improvement, and oral history projects. Please call the Program Manager at 847-439-3994 or email for more information.
- Merit Badge: Native American Life (Indian Lore)* Learn about various tribes who lived in Illinois. Scouts will discover how local tribes hunted, built homes, created clothing, and entertained.
- Merit Badge: Uncovering the Past (Archaeology)* Scouts will experience what it is like to work at an excavation site and learn how artifacts are processed and exhibited.