The farmhouse was originally located on Arlington Heights Road (State Road) and was moved in 1976 with a full basement being added later. The Elk Grove Historical Society restored the farmhouse and opened it to the public as a museum in 1977.
The original post and beam structure was built in the mid-1800s followed by at least two later additions. Henry Schuette purchased his land in 1861 so it is uncertain as to his involvement in the construction of the farmhouse as it stands today.
The interior of the farmhouse provides a glimpse of farm life in the 1860s. Museum docents bring to life the daily activities of the Schuette family as visitors tour the kitchen (the main hub of the house), sick room, parlor, two upstairs bedrooms and the sewing room.